This is my favorite yam dish for the Thanksgiving meal. Sweet potatoes take little prompting to make a tasty dish, but the streusel topping on this easy recipe puts it over the top. Modify the recipe if necessary; coconut milk substitutes nicely for the cream. Serves 6 or so.
- 3-5 sweet potatoes (weighing approx. 2 1/4 lb. total)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c. cream
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. pecans, chopped
- 2 TBS. soft butter
1. Cook sweet potatoes (a day ahead, if necessary). Flavor and nutrients are lost when cooked in a pot of water, but a slow cooker is a nice alternative, with just a bit of water at the bottom of the crock. Or bake in oven at 375 degrees, wrapped in foil, for one hour or so, until tender. Use: > 3-5 sweet potatoes (weighing approx. 2 1/4 lb. total)
2. Let potatoes cool, then slip skins off. In bowl, mash w/ potato masher or fork (or process), then add to bowl and mix in: > 2 eggs > 1/4 c. cream > 1 TBS. olive oil > 1 tsp. vanilla
3. Put mixture into oiled casserole dish or 8″ square pan. Top with mixture of the following: > 1/2 c. brown sugar > 1/4 c. flour > 1/2 c. pecans, chopped > 2 TBS. soft butter
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes, until topping is golden brown.