This vegan recipe has a meaty, hearty texture, especially when “hulled barley” (found in health food stores) is used; “pearled” barley is a more processed version of this grain and will cook more quickly. Barley has two outer layers; for “hulled barley”, the outer layer has been removed, but it is considered “whole grain barley”, as it still has the inner hull on it.
A simple recipe; makes 6-8 servings.
- 1 c. barley (not pearled but whole grain, hulled, if possible)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 qt. water
- 1/2 lb. (or more) mushrooms
- 1 TBS. fresh, chopped rosemary
- 1 TBS. fresh, chopped garlic
- 28 oz. can tomatoes
- 2 TBS. fresh, chopped parsley
- Optional: Jack or Cheddar cheese
1. Bring to a boil, then let simmer 1 hour or so, until tender: > 1 c. hulled barley* > 2 bay leaves > 1-2 qt. boiling water
2. Grill in some olive oil: > 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
3. To cooked barley, add: > Grilled mushrooms > 1 TBS. fresh, chopped rosemary (or 1 tsp. dried) > 1 TBS. fresh, chopped garlic > 28 oz. can tomatoes > 2 TBS. fresh, chopped parsley > more water if needed, for right consistency
4. Ready to eat! Add some cubed Jack or Cheddar cheese just before serving, if desired.
* For pearled barley, half the cooking time
One Response to “Barley Mushroom Soup: Whole Food, Easy, Vegetarian”