It’s hardly twice as much work to make two pies, so why not? Plus,a double recipe uses exactly one full bottle of dark corn syrup, which makes for easy measuring.
I rarely consume corn syrup in any form, but I’ll save my yearly ration to eat it all in this pie. Honey or maple syrup will substitute if necessary, but this pie is so worth it as is.
Also, maybe because pecan pie’s almost like candy, this particular pie keeps quite well. That is, if you don’t eat all of it on Thanksgiving!
Makes 2 pies.
- Two prepared, unbaked pie crusts (see below)
- 2/3 c. butter
- 1 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 bottle (2 c.) dark corn syrup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 eggs
- 3 c. pecans, whole, raw
1. Prepare two pie crusts (see below). For filling, add to a microwaveable bowl, and microwave the butter 1-2 minutes until melted (or heat in pan): > 2/3 c. butter
2. To butter, add: > 1 1/3 c. sugar > 1 bottle dark corn syrup > 1 tsp. salt > 6 eggs
3. Mix well, stir in: > 3 c. pecans
4. Pour into twp pie shells; bake 40-50 minutes at 375 degrees.
Pie Crust (Two Crusts)
INGREDIENTS FOR TWO PIES
- 1 stick cold butter, sliced into pieces
- 2 c. plus 2 TBS. flour
- 1/4 c. cold water
1. Process into a coarse meal in a food processor: > 1 stick cold butter, sliced into pieces > 2 c. plus 2 TBS. flour
2. (A fork or pastry cutter can also be used to “cut” the butter into the flour.) Next, add the water through the top of the processor while pulsing: > 1/4 c. cold water
3. Pulse just until fairly mixed. Turn dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap; if a pastry cloth is used, flour the cloth first. Let the dough rest a few minutes, then roll it out between two pieces of plastic wrap. Remove one piece of wrap, lifting the crust into an 8-10″ pie pan; ease the crust in and pinch top into decorative shape. Floured hands make forming the crust easier.
4. The crust may be frozen for weeks; no need to thaw it before adding filling and baking. To finish making the two pies, see instructions, top of page.
2 Responses to “Traditional Pecan Pie (but More Pecans)- Easy Double Recipe”