The Poppy Seed dressing below can be simply mixed up in a bowl, hand-whisking the other ingredients into the olive oil- no blender clean-up! Using the stirring method is convenient, especially when making a smaller batch of the dressing.
Bosc pears have a firm, crunchy texture, although other pears or apples, or even dried fruits can substitute in a pinch. Vary the salad by leaving out the blue cheese or replacing with crumbled goat cheese. Serves 8-10 (with extra dressing).
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. white vinegar
- 2 tsp. prepared Dijon, or similar mustard
- 1 scant tsp. salt
- 1 c. olive oil
- 1/2 Tbs. poppy seeds
- 2 bags of mixed baby greens
- 2 or 3 thin-sliced pears, dipped in lemon (or sub apples)
- 2/3 c. pecans, toasted (or raw)
- (Optional) 4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
1. For dressing, heat 30 seconds in microwave, until sugar dissolves when stirred: > 3/4 c. sugar > 1/3 c. white vinegar
2. Use a blender (or immersion blender) to mix dressing, or hand whisk in a bowl. Mix well with the dissolved sugar/vinegar mix: > 2 tsp. prepared Dijon, or similar mustard > 1 scant tsp. salt
3. Last, blend in: > 1 c. olive oil > 1/2 Tbs. poppy seeds
4. This will make enough dressing for two big salads. Use about half of the dressing over the following, reserving the rest for another salad: > 2 bags of mixed baby greens > 2 or 3 thin-sliced pears, dipped in lemon > 2/3 c. pecans, toasted if desired > (Optional) 4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled