These brownies have become quite popular at The New Deli. A few folks were hoping to get the recipe too. It is in my first cookbook, From the Land of Milk and Honey. But I thought I’d share it below too!
Aren’t mint and chocolate a perfect combination?! You’ll never have to buy peppermint patties again. And this is a fairly simple recipe. Melting the butter for the mint layer is the key; when it firms up, it’s just like candy. If my schedule is tight, I might make these several days early; after cutting them into squares, they can be frozen until serving. Serves 10-15.
- 1 stick (plus 1 stick) butter
- 1 TBS. water
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 1/3 c. chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. EACH salt and baking soda
- 1 c. flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBS. cream
- 1-2 drops green food coloring
- 1 tsp. mint extract
- 2 1/2 c. confectioner’s sugar
- 5 sq. unsweetened chocolate
1. Microwave 1-2 min. in ceramic bowl: > 1 stick butter > 1 TBS. water > 3/4 c. sugar
2. Add, mixing in until melted: > 1 1/3 c. chocolate chips
3. Next, add the chocolate mix to the following in mixer bowl: > 1 tsp. vanilla > 1/4 tsp. EACH salt & baking soda > 1 c. flour > 2 eggs
4. Mix all the above in mixer, 3-5 min. on high. Pour into 9 x 13″ pan, lined with foil for easy cleanup. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 min. Let cool completely in refrigerator, then turn out of pan, pulling foil off bottom. Put back in pan, spreading the following on when brownies have cooled (several hours).
Mint Filling: PREPARATION
1. Microwave 1 minute in glass bowl, or melt in pan: > 1 stick butter
2. Add to bowl: > 1 TBS. cream > 1 drops green food coloring > 2 drops yellow food coloring > 2 tsp. mint extract
3. Mix the above well, then add: > 2 1/2 c. confectioner’s sugar
4. Mix again; this will be a thick mixture. Spread/pat onto cooled brownies and chill for a few minutes while preparing topping.
Chocolate Topping: PREPARATION
1. Microwave 1-2 minutes in glass bowl, or melt carefully on low heat (or in double broiler) on stove: > 5 sq. unsweetened chocolate > 1/2 c. chocolate chips
2.Drizzle melted chocolate on top of mint layer. Spread evenly over top with spatula. This will be easier if the mint layer hasn’t chilled for too long (otherwise, the melted chocolate cools before it can all be spread). Chill 15 minutes or until chocolate layer is firm, then cut into bars. Store in freezer if desired.