This gluten-free, vegan recipe keeps for days; make extra for meals later in the week. It freezes well too. Carrot adds color, walnuts add crunch. Great for crowds- serve easy pilaf warm or room temperature, no fuss. Serves 10 or more.
- 3 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. wild rice
- 3-4 bay leaf
- 1-2 carrots3 c. water
- 2 c. brown rice
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalks celery
- Hearty splash of olive oil
- 2 1/2 tsp. Vege-sal (a salt/herb blend found in health food stores)
- 1 1/2 c. walnuts (toast if desired)
- 1/3 c. frozen orange concentrate
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
1. Cook the rice ahead of time, even a day earlier. In pot with a lid, bring to boil: > 3 1/2 c. water
2. Add the following the pot, to precook the wild rice: > 1 c. wild rice > 3-4 bay leaf > 1-2 carrots, peeled, left whole to cook until tender
3. Let simmer 1 hr. or so. After pre-cooking, remove carrot, let it cool, then dice. Set aside.
4. Add to wild rice in pot, bringing to boil: > 4 c. water
5. Add rice and, then simmer with a lid on for 15 min. more: > 2 c. brown rice
6. Grill in pan until tender: > 1 small onion, diced > 2 stalks celery, chopped > the pre-cooked, diced carrot > hearty splash of olive oil
7. To the pot of cooked rice, add: > The grilled celery, onion, carrot > 2 1/2 tsp. Vege-sal > 1/2 tsp. thyme > 1 1/2 c. toasted walnuts > 1/3 c. frozen orange concentrate
8. Serve at room temperature, or warm up in over before serving.