Part of the appeal of red lentils and sweet potatoes is: they cook very quickly when added to a pot of hot water. Sweet potatoes are also low on the glycemic index–always a plus.
A bit of paprika brightens up the color of the soup, as red lentils lose their unique salmon/orange color after cooking. (Tomato paste can be substituted for the paprika, if desired.) Extra curry powder and a dash of coconut milk are also options. Either way, it’s a great vegan soup option. Serves 6-8.
- 2 qt. boiling water
- 1 lb. Red Lentils (about 2 c.)
- 1 lb. peeled, cubed sweet potatoes (about 2 med.)
- Splash of olive oil
- Half a red pepper, diced
- Half a green pepper, diced
- 1/2 TBS. paprika
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce (or 1/4 tsp. cayenne)
- 1 tsp. curry powder*
- Optional: 1/2 c. coconut cream
1. In soup pot, add: > Approx. 2 qt. boiling water > 1 lb. red lentils (available in Indian section of large grocery stores, or health-food stores)
2. Cover with a lid and turn off while prepping the sweet potatoes. (Red lentils are delicate beans, so take care to not burn. Also add to simmering lentils: > 1 lb. peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
3. Let the above simmer with a lid on, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. (Lentils will appear to have “dissolved”.) Meanwhile, grill until quickly over high heat in a separate pan: > a splash of olive oil > Half a red pepper, diced > Half a green pepper, diced
4. Mix the following in a separate bowl before adding to the soup, to insure no lumps: > 1/2 TBS. paprika > 3/4 tsp. salt > 1/2 tsp. hot sauce (or 1/4 tsp. cayenne) > 1 tsp. Curry Powder > A splash of soup liquid for mixing > The grilled peppers
5. To the pot of cooked soup, add the spice mix. Stir well. Ready to serve!
*Change up the curry blend by adding other favorites. Toast in a pan first, any of the following: Fenugreek seeds, cardamom seeds (out of the pod), and/or coriander seed. Grind the freshly-toasted spices in a mini-coffee grinder, adding curry powder and/or turmeric as desired, to create your own curry blend.