The terms “Chutney” and “relish” are fairly interchangeable, although a touch of spicy peppers is usually added to chutneys. A dash of cayenne qualifies this simple recipe as “chutney”, which certainly sounds classy! Serves about 12.
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne (or hot peppers of choice)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Cinnamon stick
- 1 bag cranberries
- 1 c. sugar
- Zest from one orange
- 2 TBS. frozen orange juice concentrate
1. Rinse the berries and remove bad ones. Use: > 1 bag cranberries
2. Bring water to boil. Add: > sorted cranberries > 1/8 tsp. cayenne > 1/8 tsp. salt > 1-2 cinnamon sticks and sugar.
3. Bring mixture back up to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer 10 minutes or so, until cranberries pop. Add: > zest from one orange > 2 TBS. frozen orange juice concentrate.
4. This recipe can be made ahead and chilled; the chutney will thicken as it cools.
2 Responses to “Easy Cranberry Chutney (Like on the Bag, but Classier)”