This torte a minimum of ingredients–a super easy recipe. There’s not even gluten in it, for those looking for gluten-free. It is traditionally made with Kahlua; for a non-alcohol version, see this page.
If the 10″ pan is not available, smaller sizes can be used; just cook the cake longer. It won’t set up as traditional cakes set up (don’t bother sticking a toothpick in). But it will seem fairly “set” when giggled. Let it cool completely before serving. Serves 15 or so; can easily be reduced by half to serve a smaller crowd.
1 lb. chocolate chips
1 lb. butter
2 c. sugar
1 c. espresso (or strong coffee)(Decaf, if desired)
1/4 c. Kahlua
1 c. pecans, chopped
Optional: Whipped cream, berries, or raspberry sauce
1. Bake in unbuttered pan, lined with aluminum foil (heavy duty works best). Use a large, 10″ pan, or 2 smaller pans. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Microwave in large ceramic bowl, 2-3 minutes, until melted: > 1 lb. chocolate chips > 1 lb. butter
3. Stir the chocolate/butter mix until smooth. Add the following, stir, and microwave 2 min. more: > 2 c. sugar > 1 c. espresso (or strong coffee)
4. Stir in, one at a time: > 8 eggs
5. Pour into the foil-lined pan; sprinkle with: > 1 c. pecans, chopped
6. Bake at 300 degrees for 65 min. for a 10″ pan, or 30-40 min. for 2 smaller pans.
7.Let cool completely (for easiest handling). Transfer to cake plate, cut away foil, leaving a round of foil under the cake. (If completely chilled first, this foil can be removed, otherwise it can be tricky.)
8. Serve with whipped cream or berries. A raspberry sauce can also be drizzled onto the plates before serving.
2 Responses to “Chocolate Truffle Cake w/Kahlua: Easy Torte”