I needed a fast recipe for a quick birthday cake. I needed a small recipe, cuz we didn’t all want to get fat. I’d just read how good hazelnuts are for you (Mark’s Daily Apple, article on Nuts About Nuts). I had a Trader Joe’s bag of roasted hazelnuts on hand, and some chocolate chips, butter, and eggs. So I made THIS!
Inspired by an old Martha Stewart recipe (“Double Diablo Chocolate Cake”), but even better- it’s easier. I found out: No, you do not have to whip the egg yolks and whites separately. Score, for time-saving! I streamlined most of the steps, at no sacrifice of taste.
I don’t usually have cream on hand for the Ganache frosting, but discovered that butter subs perfectly- another convenience
Oh, if you’d prefer a “Chocolate Almond Torte”, just substitute almonds for the hazelnuts. You can also easily double this recipe, to make one 15″ round cake, or two layers of a smaller size.
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1 c. toasted hazelnuts (plus 1/2 c. or so for decorating)
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips (for ganache frosting)
- 1/4 c. butter (for ganache frosting)
1. Beat together until light and fluffy: > 3 eggs, room temperature > 1/2 c. sugar
2. Meanwhile, microwave 60-80 seconds: > 1 c. chocolate chips
3. Stir chocolate until melted. Add: > 1 stick butter, room temperature
4. Set the chocolate mixture aside. To prepare pan, grease an 8” or 9″ round pan and line bottom with parchment or wax paper. Grease the paper also.
5. Chop nuts until fine in blender or processor. Use: > 1 c. toasted hazelnuts
6. To the chopped nuts, add and mix together: > 1/4 c. flour
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans. Frost cake when cool.
8. For frosting, microwave 40 seconds or so: > 1/2 c. chocolate chips
9. Mix chocolate chips until smooth, then stir in: > 1/4 c. butter
10. Let frosting cool if necessary, until it’s a good consistency (not too thick or thin) Frost cake. Decorate cake with: > 1/2 c. toasted hazelnuts
11. Let frosting set up for an hour or so, then serve.